One Beautiful Party Dress

Oh So Pretty

It was my girls birthday party and her party is going to be featured in our friends new cook book. They won NZ Cuisine Restaurant of the year award (a huge honour)and have been approached to do a book. Monique asked me if we could put my daughters party in it which was at their restaurant. And of course I said YES!

I wanted her to look really special. I chose the bubble dress by 'Oliver and S'. There was a lot to organise for the party. I helped Monique style the party which was so much fun. So I wanted to use a bought pattern that I didn't have to think and quickly sew up. The pattern was a dream, such a good cut and fit. The only slight problem was I found it a bit short for her and would of liked it a bit longer. But at least now I can put it over leggings.

I even learnt a new way to put the gathered skirt to the lining. She put it on elastic instead of gathering to a smaller lining. I liked that method very much. The dress turned out beautifully and I recommend to all.

I found this beautiful grey matte satin fabric at 'Spotlight' that was on sale and only cost me $2.25 for the required amount, lining and all. Now that is a super duper bargain. The pattern cost me 15 times that much because I bought it 2 years ago when the exchange rate was at an all time high.

I wanted a very posh take on the dress so added the sequin trim round the bodice. It was a little extra work because I had to work it into the armhole. I bought a flower brooch, tiara and flower for her hair for the final touch. She sure did look like a princess. She wore it to her Aunty's wedding and got so many compliments. She was as proud as punch wearing her beautiful dress especially when she was passing round the wedding hand outs.

Little Helper

My second daughter wore the dress I originally designed for her older sister. That dress is so easy to care for I can just throw it in the washing machine with no problems. One of these days I will publish this pattern but having babies has got in the way. I want to do it some time this year but I won't promise anything yet. I don't want to jinx myself. I also have to figure how I should go about it.

butter wouldn't melt

I would of liked to make my youngest daughter a dress but there was absolutely no time. When I came across this dress in this shop, I knew I had found the perfect dress. The fabric is absolutely gorgeous, its reversible and it was handmade. Gotta love that!

oh hello there

Note these photo's were taken at the wedding will post a bit more about the birthday later.

Comments

Karen said…
Gorgeous Mary-Jane - the girls and the dresses.
I wondered if it was the O+S Bubble and this is one of the few patterns of theirs I don't have, I haven't loved any of the versions I have seen, til now!
The sequin trim is just perfect and she certainly looks happy with the result.
liesl said…
Very pretty. Nice job with it!
Megan said…
gorgeous dresses! love the flower accessories too :)
nanann said…
Love all the dresses! I never thought to do a gray theme for my girls, but I imagine they all look great together.
Me and Ma said…
Beautiful dresses Mary-Jane, I think I must have a go at a Oliver and S pattern as whenever I ee outfits people have made from them they always look so great :)
Camille said…
Gorgeous dresses and beautiful girls!
Alastair McAra said…
Hello Mary-Jane. I've just discovered your blog and it's wonderful to see these beautiful pictures of your girls. The dresses look great (lovely fabric combinations on the Oliver+S pattern!). Thank you for purchasing the Vintage Rose wrap dress and providing a link to the store - it looks great on your little girl & the hair accessories look fabulous!
What a beautiful wedding it must have been.
Warm regards,
Catherine from imba.
imba said…
Hello Mary-Jane. I've just discovered your blog and it's wonderful to see these beautiful pictures of your girls. The dresses look great (lovely fabric cominations on the Oliver+S pattern!). Thank you for purchasing the Vintage Rose wrap dress and providing a link to the store - it looks great on your little girl and the hair accessories look fabulous!
What a beautiful wedding it must have been.
Warm regards,
Catherine from imba.
Alyssa said…
I've just found your page and love your quilts and dresses. Have you ever shared the pattern for your little girl's dress (not the bday girl)? I'd love to attempt it.

Popular Posts